Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Big Day





Today was quite productive. I put a second coat of fiberglass cloth on the keel, bow and stern of the kayak. I taped off exactly where I wanted it to cover and used a roller, sponge paintbrush and a squeegee to lay down the epoxy. It is much tougher to cover a second layer of glass, so you have to be persistent on wetting it in. Also note how I finished the ends of the kayak, by folding over the fiberglass wetting it down and folding the other way. It worked, but I don't know if it was the best solution. I then went on to fiberglass the bottom of the deck. I ran out of fiberglass from my roll, but had enough pieces to cover it. I'll need to buy more fiberglass to finish the inside of the hull and the cockpit. I then used an exacto to cut next to the tape and remove the excess fiberglass and tape. After that I applied my first fill coat to the kayak. It is amazing to see the difference that makes to the look of your kayak!! It was a very exciting day... now I can start thinking about the cockpit and removing the forms from the hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment